Dr. Vinod Kumar, MD, FACC, RPVI
"As a cardiac specialist I often make lifesaving decisions. But I also spend time with patients, thoroughly explaining their diagnosis and treatment. This broad commitment to cardiac medicine helps me not only save lives, but increase the longevity and quality of them."
Dr. Kumar is one of the most honored cardiologists in Bakersfield and has been recognized nationally time and time again for his work in the field of Cardiology.
He couples years of extensive training and research alongside some of the leaders in the industry with an unyielding dedication to the well-being of each of his patients.
"In medical school, I worked hard to earn the best education possible. Afterward, I perfected my skills in cardiac medicine under some of the nation's leading heart specialists, including Dr. DeBakey, the originator of open-heart bypass surgery. Today, I apply this extensive training on a daily basis - to preserve and improve the lives of patients right here in our community."
Name: Vinod Kumar, MD, FACC, RPVI
Telephone: (661) 324-4100 Fax: (661) 324-4600
1992 - present: Medical Director, The Heart Center
2008-2009: Director, Cardiac Cath Lab, San Joaquin Hospital, CA
2007-2008: Research Director, Central California Heart Institute, Memorial Hospital, CA
2000 - 2007: Honorary Chairman, Physicians Advisory Board to President Bush, NRCC
2005 - present: Clinical Instructor, UCLA, Los Angeles, California
2005 - present: President of American Heart Association, Kern County Chapter, CA
2005 - 2006: Chairman of Cardiology, San Joaquin Hospital, CA
2004: Listed in who's who directory - "BEST in the field of cardiology"
2002: Board certified in Interventional Cardiology
2001: Board Re-Certified in Cardiology
2001: Board certified in Nuclear Cardiology
2000 - 2002: Chairman, Credentials committee, San Joaquin Hospital
1998 - 2000: Chairman, Dept of Medicine, San Joaquin Hospital
1996: Reviewer for CMRI Board of California
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
7/91 - 6/92: Interventional Cardiology fellow, UCLA School of Medicine, CA
7/89 - 6/91: Fellowship in Cardiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
(Program Director: R. Roberts, M.D.).
7/86 - 6/89: Residency in Internal Medicine at
Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, MI
1979 -1985: Medical School, Obtained MD, University Medical College, Rohtak, India
(ECFMG): Scaled Score: 87 (99th percentile)
FLEX: Scaled Score: 86
LICENSURE AND BOARD CERTIFICATION
Board Certified in Internal Medicine in 1989
Board Certified in Cardiology in 1991
Board Re-Certified in Cardiology 2001
Board certified in Nuclear Cardiology 2001
Board certified in Interventional Cardiology 2002
Fellow of American College of Cardiology
HONORS AND AWARDS:
Recipient of “Physician of the year” from congress of United States in 2003
Recipient of Ronald Reagan Gold Medal award in 2004 for outstanding service to the community
Recipient of Crystal Heart Award 1994 “Outstanding Physician of the Year”
Recipient of Danny O'Neil Memorial Award in 1998
Recipient of “Physician of the Year” from Kern physician assistant KNPPAA in 1999
National Merit Scholarship through Medical School Years.
Five star rating as cardiologist in Bakersfield 2004 (Special Note: Dr. Kumar was the ONLY 5 star rated cardiologist in Bakersfield in 2004)
2007 Manav Ratn award by Samkalp organization, Delhi, India
1. Worked with Robert A. Kloner, M.D., PhD. in Cardiovascular Research Laboratory at Wayne State University, Detroit on the following projects:
(I) Noninvasive assessment of area at risk in a canine model of ischemia.
(II) Ultrasonic enhancement of myocardial infarction by fluorocarbons.
(III) Role of oxygenated fluorocarbons in prevention of distal myocardial ischemia during balloon inflation in dogs.
(IV) Randomized trial of 90 minutes coronary artery occlusion with an autoperfusion angioplasty catheter in a canine model.
2. Worked in the area of Molecular Biology with Mark Blick, M.D. and Sant P. Chawla, M.D. at the University of Texas
TOPIC: “Oncogene Expression in Human Melanomas and Sarcomas.”
3. Involved in multiple clinical research trials conducted at Baylor College of Medicine (TIMI-3, TEAM, TTOPP, UNSA, PGE-1, SOLVD, BARI, Fish Oil Study and others).
4. Involved in various angioplasty and angioscopy related research projects.
Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty
Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Atherectomy (DVI)
Percutaneous Transluminal Rotablator Artherectomy
Percutaneous Transluminal Excimer Laser Angioplasty
Coronary Stents, Ultrasound Imaging, Angioscopy, and Doppler Flow
PERIPHERAL VASCULAR INTERVENTIONS:
Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty (PTA)
Peripheral Atherectomy (Rotablator, DVI)
Peripheral Laser Angioplasty
MEETINGS AND MEMBERSHIPS
National American College of Physicians Meeting 1988, New York
ACP Regional Meeting at Traverse City, MI 1987
Member, Kern County Medical Society
American Heart Association Annual Meeting 1986, 1990 - present
American College of Cardiology 1987 - present
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
1. Shin, D., Kumar, V.G., Chawla, S., Donner, L. Gutterman, J., Blic-Aberrent oncongene expression in uncultured human melanoma and sarcome-Anticancer Research 7:1117-11124 (1987).
2. Shin, D., Kumar, V.G., Donner, L. et al.-Aberrent expression of n-myc, c-kras as well as over expression of c-cis in fresh uncultured human melanoma and sarcoma- presented at annual meeting AACR '87, Atlanta.
3. Blick, M., Kumar, V.G., Shin, D., Chawla S., Donner, L., Gutterman, J.-Expression of transforming growth factor-Alpha Epidermal growth factor receptor and p53 in Human Sarcoma- International Journal of Cancer (submitted for publication).
4. Kumar, V.G., Chandrashekher, P.,-Rising trend of Tuberculosis at a Detroit City Hospital-Presented at ACP meeting '87, Traverse City, MI and National ACP meeting '88, New York, NY.
5. Johnston, D., Kumar, V.G., Verani, M.-Assessment of myocardial tissue viability with magnetic resonance imaging following acute infarction; comparison with Adenosine Thallium-201 Scintigraphy-Presented at 9th annual meeting of Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, New York, 1990.
6. Sack, J., Kumar, V.G., et al - Complete Heart Block complications retrograde left heart catheterization in patients with cardiac transplants- Accepted for publication in “Catheterization and Cardiovascular Disease”.
7. Sack, J., Kumar, V.G., et al-Factors affecting resuscitation outcome during interposed intra-abdominal counterpulsation- Submitted to circulation.
8. Kumar, V.G., Serman, CT. et al - Balloon Angioplasty in orthotopic heart transplant recipients: Patients selection and results- Submitted for presentation to AHA meeting '92.
9. Gerber, R., Kumar, V.G., et al- Effect of non-stimulation cardiomyoplasty on left ventricular function- Submitted for presentation to AHA '92.
10. Sack, J., Kumar, V.G. et al- Sodium bicarbonate and resuscitation outcome during in hospital cardiac arrest - Submitted for presentation to AHA '92.
11. Multiple presentations on various subjects in Cardiology to Bakersfield Hospitals
and the community.
BOOKS AND CHAPTERS:
Co-Author with Robert A. Kloner, M.D., PhD. on the following chapters in 1990 edition of “CARDIOLOGY REFERENCE BOOK - THIRD EDITION', R.A. Kloner, Ed., Co Medica, Inc., New York , NY
Section 1. Major risk factors for CAD - V.G. Kumar, M.D. and R. Kloner, M.D., phD.
Section 2. Non-invasive diagnostic tests.
Section 4. Angina Pectoris: Pathophysiology and Pharmacologic therapy.
Section 5. Silent Myocardial Ischemia - R.A. Kloner., PhD. and V.G. Kumar, M.D.
Section 6. Coronary Angioplasty - R.A. Kloner, M.D., PhD. and V.G. Kumar, M.D.
Section 7. Surgical vs. Medical therapy in CAD-V. Kumar, and R. Kloner, M.D., PhD.
Section 9. Therapy for Acute MI- Role of thrombolytic therapy, chronic beta-blockade and Aspirin- R. Kloner, M.D., phD., V.G. Kumar, M.D. and S. Goel, M.D.
Several hundred lectures to date on cardiology, prevention of heart attacks, atherosclerosis at the local hospitals including teaching lectures at Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield which is an affiliate at UCLA
*Has developed a program for patients and community to reduce risk of heart diseases called "Good Family, Good Heart"
*Currently in the process of finalizing a book for patients – A Guide to understanding Heart Diseases.